Staines Road East, Sunbury on Thames, TW16 5AQ
The first ever race held at Kempton Park took place on the 18th July 1878. A Royal Box was constructed in just 21 days in 1889, to cater for a visit from the Prince of Wales.
Kempton Park was a major victim of both World Wars, when all racing was abandoned and the site was used for a number of purposes related to the war. During the First World War, the park was used as a transit depot for military vehicles. The racecourses at Gatwick, Hurst Park and Sandown adopted Kempton Park's fixtures until 1919, when racing resumed at Kempton.
The site played a major role in accommodating prisoners of war throughout World War II. The main line rail station situated on the grounds of the racecourse, allowed German and Italian soldiers to be directly routed to the temporary can that was set up.