RIVERMEAD ISLAND, SUNBURY
One of the few islands in the Thames to which there is public access. Originally, Rivermead Island was in two parts - at the far end was once known as Swan's Rest Island. This has now silted up and become joined to Rivermead Island.
Access to Rivermead Island is via an arched footbridge. The Island is popular with fisherman during the fishing season - and with the geese all the year round. The annual Sunbury Regatta is also held on the Island in the late summer.
In 1935, an outdoor swimming pool was built on the island, but was closed in 1980 and filled in. There is now no trace of this amenity every having been there.
Swimming Pool on Rivermead Island
Photograph: courtesy of Sunbury Matters